Faster TAT, More Uptime, and Reduced Maintenance
Hospital Clinic de Barcelona
Siemens Healthineers high-throughput analyzers and automation systems improved productivity and helped deliver faster, high-quality results to clinicians in this university hospital setting.
The Biomedical Diagnostic Center (BDC)*
- Serves a local population of 550,000 people.
- Processes 550,000 orders from hospital and ambulatory patients annually.
- Performs 3,414,000 clinical chemistry tests annually.
*The BDC comprises all laboratories of the Hospital Clinic de Barcelona.
- Aptio® Automation
- ADVIA Centaur® XPT Immunoassay System
- ADVIA® Chemistry XPT System
- ADVIA® 1800 Chemistry System
Key Outcomes and Benefits:
- Mean clinical chemistry turnaround time (TAT), including reruns and dilutions, was reduced from 40 to 22 minutes (45%).
- Mean immunoassay TAT, including reruns, was reduced from 57 to 34 minutes (40%).
- Decreased manual interventions in the pre- and post-analytical phases using a combination of system and automation features, such as intelligent sample routing and onboard aliquot retention, repeats and dilutions.
- Throughput increased from 4400 to 5880 samples per day (34%) while the number of analyzers decreased by 30%.
- Overtime costs were reduced by improving staff utilization, conducting more tests with fewer processes, and minimizing manual intervention.
Read how Siemens Healthineers worked together with Clinic de Barcelona to increase system uptime and throughput with technology that automated system maintenance and reduced the need for operator interventions.
ADVIA, ADVIA Centaur, Aptio, and all associated marks are trademarks of Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc., or its affiliates. All other trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Product availability may vary from country to country and is subject to varying regulatory requirements. Please contact your local representative for availability.
The outcomes obtained by the Siemens Healthineers customer described here were realized in the customer’s unique setting. Since there is no typical laboratory, and many variables exist, there can be no guarantee that others will achieve the same results.